Winter just beats the heck out of my lips! Did you know that licking your lips is a sure way to make them dryer than the Sahara desert? Saliva contains enzymes that break down the lipids on your lips. Lipids are fatty substances that form a natural protective barrier, helping to keep your lips healthy. Try the following tips to keep lips pucker ready all winter long:
- Drink more water! Staying hydrated is the #1 best way to keep the natural moisture in your lips. If cold water just doesn’t appeal to you in sub zero temps, drink it warm or hot with some lemon or mint.
- Use a restorative lip balm that contains healing ingredients like shea and aloe. Avoid products that contain parabens and petrolatum which are irritants.
- Try this scrumptious lip scrub concocted by our own Mackenzie
All Natural DIY Lip Scrub
Rehydrate and sooth your lips with this all natural scrub.
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil raw, extra virgin
- 1/3 cup Cane Sugar raw
- 1/2 tsp Pure Essential Orange Oil
Combine all ingredients in a jar and mix well
Scrub onto lips for approximately one minute and then rinse with water
Use daily for extreme dry/chapped lips or every other day for maintenance