No really, spring is here! I know the weather hasn’t been cooperating, but the birds are chirping despite the snow flurries and cool temps. When we talk about spring cleaning, we often focus on the physical cleaning of spaces, but spring is a great time to clean out and change up your mindset too.
How is that New Year’s Resolution going? Do you even remember what it was? What goals have been on your list that you have been making progress towards? Which goals have fallen off of the list, but are still important to you? What thoughts and attitudes are serving you and helping you get closer to your goals? Which are not? Spring is a great time for a new beginning. Here are some tips to de-clutter your mindset and start fresh for the new season.
- Make a list of goals that are important to you, not that you think should be important to you. You must really be invested in these goals in order to achieve them. Set a realistic deadline for when you will accomplish these goals.
- Create an action plan for the steps you will need to take in order to achieve your goals. Break each goal down into chunks, or mini goals and focus on getting to each one like a stepping stone to then move onto the next.
- Start a gratitude journal – when we focus on gratitude our brains cannot focus on also being upset. Keep the journal by your bedside and each morning when you wake up and each night before you go to sleep, write down things that you are grateful for.
- Replace negative self talk with positive affirmations. Negative thoughts do not serve us, they become limiting beliefs. Each time you think you can’t, you aren’t good enough, whatever the negative thought may be, replace it with something positive. Do you feel you aren’t good at something? Instead of saying you are “terrible” or “can’t” try saying to yourself, “I’m not where I want to be, but I am working on it.” This shift in mindset may be hard at first, but it will get easier. As you work on it, you will find that other things in your life seem to shift with it, for the better.
- Find a great book to dive into that will help you move closer to your goals. Whether it is on audible, hard copy or kindle, reading about how others have accomplished what you are trying to do will help you move forward. Find others who are doing what you want to do and copy what they are doing. You will find inspiration as you move closer to your goals.
- Make a list of the top 10 people that you interact with most often in your daily life. Now draw a line through those that are not helping to move you closer to your goals. Surrounding yourself with those that will lift you up and support you is paramount to your success. For those people in your life that are not helping move you closer to your goals, you may have to redefine what that relationship looks like.
Spring cleaning doesn’t just need to be about the physical, it can be a great time to reassess, take inventory, re-prioritize and start fresh towards your goals and personal growth.