Warm weather is here, the sun is shining, so it is time to cover ourselves from head to toe to avoid any contact with the sun….. That is what certain medical professionals and pharmaceutical companies would have us believe. In all actuality, we need sun on our skin, in moderation, to promote overall health and vitality. Here are just some of the benefits of catching some rays:
- Boost vitamin D levels: It is estimated that 50% of the population globally is deficient in vitamin D. Vitamin D helps to strengthen bones, improve our mood, improve eye site and even prevent and fight cancer.
- Fight Cancer: that’s right, moderate sun exposure has been proven to reduce the risk of and even fight cancer. Dr. Zane Kime used nutrition and sunlight to treat her metastatic cancer patients with great results. Dr Mercola has discussed the benefits of sunlight in the treatment and prevention of cancer.
- Boost immunity: boosting vitamin D and our T cells, sunlight improves our overall immune function and can increase our white blood cell count (in a healthy way).
- Lower blood pressure: every exposure to sunlight lowers blood pressure and regular exposure and help keep blood pressure low.
- Increase serotonin thereby improving mood
- Reduce depression: Seasonal Affective Disorder is not just for winter anymore. Long work days inside office buildings have mad SAD a year round issue. Getting outside at lunch time for even a few minutes of sun can help.
- Improve skin disorders like psoriasis, acne and eczema: research has shown that sunlight activates nitric oxide in the skin which can improve these conditions.
For longer exposure to the sun, be sure to use a natural sunscreen like our DIY All Natural Zinc Free Sunscreen